Often in life, we forget to stop. Pause and care for ourselves. We get so lost in caring for our loved ones, spouse and children and friends and family. We don’t have any time left for self-love.
And the results are exhaustion, burnt out and sickness.
Sounds familiar.. if you are like me, then this is your new normal.
So how can we change that?? What can we do differently that we don’t fall into old patterns and fall into new changes where we can show some self-love!!
Why self-love? So we don’t get lost in the world of our loved ones and forget who we are.
To be able to say hey beautiful !! YOU ARE DOING GREAT !! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! and to be able to pat yourself on your back.
The only way I realized we could do this if we pause to take time for self-care…
But first, how can you identify you are at the edge of being burnt out and exhaustion… here are some signs.
If You are completely exhausted by the end of the day that you collapse on the couch and fall asleep.
By the end of the week, you are so tired you can hardly get out of bed in the morning.
Sleep most of your morning during the weekend to feel energized again.
No matter how much sleep you get, you wake up exhausted. Like you didn’t get enough rest.
Caffeine is your power source to wake up and get through the day.
You often work so hard you forget to eat. Skip breakfast and try to get through the day with just coffee.
Have extreme cravings for junk food and eat excessive amounts of sugar for energy.
Binge on Netflix and other distractions to avoid being alone with your thoughts.
If any of these sounds familiar, then you need to pause and start showing yourself some love.Self-care.
What exactly do you do for Self Care?? What is Self Care??
Self Care is being in touch with your inner self. Being content with who you are. Self Care is commonly misunderstood for selfishness. At least I thought it was.. but it’s not when you are not yourself and unable to care for yourself, then you are not the best version of yourself.
Because when you care for yourself and be in touch with your true self. Then no matter what curve balls life throws at you, you find the best possible way out.
Self Care includes your mental health, emotional health, and Physical health. When you have these three ducks in a row, then everything else falls in place. And these lead to your Intellectual health and Spiritual health.
Top 10 ways to keep your mental health at check.
- Relax and allow yourself to do nothing (no cell phones allowed!) and talk to yourself about your thoughts and feelings. Keep a journal if necessary write it down, Think of ways you can improve these feelings.
- Meditate at least for 10 min as the first thing in the morning and last thing bed.
- Read an educational book with a focus on personal growth- the reason why? Its simple they help you keep in track for self-care/development a necessary step to break the old bad habit of neglecting you. Remember to prioritize yourself. Self-development books teach that.My favorite The Power of the Subconscious Mind.
- Listen to an educational podcast. The news is not included as educational fact is there is so much negative in the news nowadays, it will only lower your energy frequency. We need to keep up our positive energy. I’m not saying don’t listen, not too much get imp headlines, traffic and weather local news trust me this is plenty…
- Play with your pet. It is one of the best therapy session you can gift yourself. They heal us in ways words cannot express.
6. Cuddle with your spouse/partner. The incredible peace, relief from stress and content feeling you get with cuddling is irreplaceable.
- Do something that makes you smile. Art, going for a walk whatever that is for you.remember you are the priority here.
- Create something artistic or play an instrument. I love art; it has been the best therapy for me… Hands down it’s the most effective therapy to beat the depressive feeling that overshadows us time and again.
- Listen to music you love. If it is dance beats and makes you start dancing then. Heck yay. You will get some workout out of it. Don’t listen to music that makes you sad and reminds of loss(loss of loved ones). Remember we are focusing on building our mental health.
10. Practice gratitude. Maintain a journal if you need to it serves as a reminder for all the things you are grateful for.
Top 10 ways to Keep your Emotional Health at check.
- Forgive someone you have been holding a grudge against. Not like I forgive you for the wrong you did… no, forgive as you mean it… I forgive you for everything you did, and I forgive myself for the wrong I did, and I settle this karmic account with you. You are free to live your life your way, and I’m free to live my life my way…
I say this personally every time I practice forgiveness… it may frustrate you at first, annoy you even to read this or say it in your head or even out loud.. but it works. It works like magic. It returns peace to you and heals you of the emotional scars you been holding onto knowingly or unknowingly.
- Do something that scares you that you’ve always wanted to do. This boosts your confidence and in turn, lifts your spirits. You will be surprised that you want to do that again.
- Focus on your own needs and goals instead of comparing yourself to others.
- Practice compassion for yourself.
- Spend time with your kids. We have our most profound emotional bond when it comes to kids, spending time quality time making memories is an absolute necessity for our heart health. It is when we have good quality time with kids; it brings this amazing glow on us that gives us the strength to face the world.
- Allow yourself to feel your feelings instead of running from them or distracting yourself.
- Read a book that lifts your spirits. Be it fictional or non-fictional.
- Take a break from technology/ Social media—unplug..
- Help someone and don’t expect anything in return.
- Practice positive affirmations (Example: You are enough just as you are right now in this moment. Love yourself unconditionally. Write down a few things you appreciate yourself.
TOP 10 WAYS TO KEEP YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH IN CHECK…
- Practice deep breathing. This is part of your meditation. It helps you de-stress lightens you up instantly like a magic pill.
- Move to music you love. It contributes to workout.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Lift weights. Start small and build up. Start with 10 min workouts and work your way up little goes a long way. Consistency is a key here.. 10 min a day for 5 to 6 days a week.
- Walk. Not all days go as we want and that’s okay that’s when we get creative.
6. Play a sport. Play tag with your kids or your pet.
- Go outside—get some sunlight on your skin. It’s amazing what little bit of the sun does to you. Natural vitamin D supplement and some fresh air…. works wonders for your health…
- Try yoga or another mindful movement practice (also good for your mental health)
- Eat healthily (i.e., fruits and veggies). Carrying a few healthy snacks with you at all times helps you keep your junk cravings at bay.
- Look in a mirror and love your body as it is right now, without judgment.
I know you may be feeling an overwhelming feeling after reading all of this… trust me it’s not a lot… some of these steps overlap like meditation It’s because these steps have that amazing benefits all three aspects of self-care… Some of these we practice without intention. Set intention and then do them, You will see the difference it makes ten folds better.
Make a list of things you already practice but this time with set intention. Start with one new thing each week or until it becomes natural to you that you do it every day, even if it takes more than two weeks, there is no set time to start practicing these you decide how long you need to make these changes as a part of your routine.
Remember it takes time and effort to break old habits and build new and better habits.
I know it’s hard to find time for self-care; that’s why I recommend scheduling one hour every single day just for you. Self-care might seem silly, but it saved me from depression, made me a better person.
And it just might do the same for you!
I do not have a fancy Psychology degree.. but these are the ways I practice Self-Care… Sharing my methods and practices. It’s like how we as parents share parenting tips. We share them based on our experience, not because we have a fancy degree.
This post may contain Affiliate links. It means I may earn a little commission if you choose to purchase from the links I provided at no additional cost to you. You may read my disclosures HERE
With that said here are some books I loved that are great Self-help books you might wanna read.
Want to conquer your fears and tap into Successful mindset? check out my post here
Let me know in the comments below what is that one change you want to implement right away.